“White Too Long” Book Discussion with Dr. Robert P. Jones
Wednesday, September 2 at 4:00 p.m.
Join ICJS Executive Director Heather Miller Rubens in a discussion with Robert P. Jones around topics raised in his newest book, “White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity.” (Released July 28; order now.)
As Jones argues in the book, confronting unsettling truths around Christianity’s role as a cornerstone of white supremacy in the United States–truths that have interreligious implications–is the only way to salvage the integrity of faith and religious identities. The moderated discussion will look not only to accepting responsibility for the past, but exploring the work toward repair required in the present.
A friend of ICJS, Jones delivered the 2019 Manekin-Clark lecture:
Robert P. Jones is the CEO and Founder of PRRI (Public Religion Research Institute) and a leading scholar and commentator on religion, culture, and politics. He is the author of the forthcoming book, White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity, and The End of White Christian America, which won the 2019 Grawemeyer Award in Religion.
Jones serves on the national program committee for the American Academy of Religion and is a past member of the editorial boards for the Journal of the American Academy of Religion, and Politics and Religion, a journal of the American Political Science Association. He writes a column on politics and culture for The Atlantic online and is frequently featured in major national media.
Jones holds a Ph.D. in religion from Emory University, an M.Div. from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and a B.S. in computing science and mathematics from Mississippi College.
- How white supremacy infected Christianity and the Republican Party (The Washington Post, 8/3/2020)
- Book Review: ‘White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity’ by Robert P. Jones (The Washington Informer, 8/5/2020)
- White Christian America Needs a Moral Awakening (The Atlantic, 7/28/2020)
- For white Christians, racial justice starts with telling the truth (Religion News Service, 7/28/2020)
- Racism among white Christians is higher than among the nonreligious. That’s no coincidence. (NBC News, 7/27/2020)
- This is a moment of reckoning on race for White Christians (CNN, 7/19/2020)
- The mark of Cain: A Christian pollster argues that a reckoning is due in America’s churches (The Economist, 7/11/2020)
- Churches Must Grapple with a Legacy of Racism: A Conversation with Robert P. Jones (Publishers Weekly, 7/7/2020)
- Flattening the Curve of Xenophobia (Sojourners, 4/22/2020)